Writing 101

Monday, February 12, 2007

What's wrong with Cinderella?

Growing up in a superficial generation, it's hard for a girl like me to avoid wearing pink and wanting to be a princess. I love Disney movies and always want to be Cinderella, going to the ball and have a happily-ever-after of my own. Well, there ain't nothing wrong with that. After all, there are no studies proving that playing princess can damages girls' self-esteem or dampens other aspiration. I believe princesses play the role model in the girls' early life, helping them to grow up as well-behaved and compassionated young ladies, without interfering their thinking or interests. From my own experience, I know that watching Disney movies and playing princesses doesn't affect the way you think or what you want. When I was little, I love watching Cinderella and Snow White because they are kind, compassionate and loving to everyone else. They taught me to treat others with respect no matter what. I also learn that if I'm a good person, good thing will come to me. That somewhat reflects the idea of karma, a big part of my religion and many people need to learn that. Since the princesses represent all the good qualities, why not allow children to be like them? The author of the article "What's wrong with Cinderella?" believe that playing the role of princess can reduce female's competitiveness against men in the real world. I don't believe it. Disney princess don't just limit to Cinderella and Snow White. They also have Pocahontas, who follow her heart and did what she believe in. She prevented war and created peace among her tribe and Englishments. Personally, I still like to play sport, speak my mind and stand up for what I believe in even though I was a big princess fan when I was little. A kid's characteristics aren't decided by what he or she like only, it also depends on the parents and how the adults around inspire them to be. So if a mother thinks her daughter is weak and princess-ish, don't be too quick to blame it on the Disney movies. If it didn't affect me, I don't see why it should be a problems for others. After all, there is nothing wrong with Cinderella.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home